Behind Blue Eyes

 Week Thirty-nine: Behind Blue Eyes


…and if I swallow anything evil

put your finger down my throat

and if I shiver, please give me a blanket

keep me warm, let me wear your coat


—The Who, Behind Blue Eyes, from the album Who’s Next?



On a warm Saturday in July I sat with our dog Leon on a bench provided for old guys or old guys with dogs while our granddaughter, her mother, and Gwaz searched the various buildings of the craft village we were visiting. From my vantage point I could see the tourists coming and going from one building to the other and between them to the petting zoo stocked mostly with goats.


Strategically located near the entrance to the goat enclosures was a vending machine swallowing quarters in exchange for a handful of  goat munchies. It was popular to say the least. I couldn’t help but notice one particular grandma who seemed to have an endless supply of quarters, of which she was more than willing to part. She called to her granddaughter who was intent on rushing past the food to get to the goats. Quarters were spun, and goats would be happy. Off the girl ran in the direction of the zoo.


Quite soon afterward my own granddaughter emerged from the building. Noticing the sign indicating the goat zoo, she too hustled off to find the hungry caprine beauties. But before she could get too far the quarter-laden grandma called to her. “Here,” she said. “Buy some food for them goats,” and she held out a quarter for my granddaughter to take.


You know what? Nowhere in the Grandmother Playbook does it say she is obligated to supply anything, let alone money, to a kid she doesn’t know. But that’s the secret to grandmotherhood. Generosity is contagious. You teach it to one kid, and before you know it, generosity becomes the rule (not the exception).


If you know me, you also know that I couldn’t not get involved. I watched her as she offered quarters to any youngster approaching the goat pen (until she was obviously out of quarters). I waited my turn and when she walked near enough to my location (I wasn’t going to give up my shady bench; was I?) I called to her, “I saw you give those kids money. That was very kind.”


She smiled but didn’t say a word. Come to think of it, there was nothing to say.



The Who - Behind Blue Eyes (HQ)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Father’s Shoes

I Want My Dog to Live Longer

Oh My God