Eyesight to the Blind

 Week Twenty-six: Eyesight to the Blind 


You talk about your woman

I wish you could see mine


--The Who, Eyesight to the Blind, from Tommy 

(adapted from Born Blind, Sonny Boy Williamson I)


Years ago with my 18 year-old granddaughter and her gentleman caller in the backseat of my car, we could see Gwaz walking from the mailbox toward us. I immediately started singing the thought that came to mine. That was followed soon after by finding The Who’s slightly more melodic version on my iPhone.


You talk about your woman

I wish you could see mine


After 51 years in close proximity, she still does it for me (so to speak). And whether I am sitting across from her in a quiet living room as we gather enough energy to start our day or waiting for her in the car, well, like I said.


Quite often I think about how fortunate I have been. In fact, I’ve said many times that I was born lucky, and I was. From grandparents who loved me to parents who worked their whole lives on my behalf to the fortunate coincidence of being born the same year as Gwaz allowing us to meet in high school to the even more off-chance of having the same friend--the one who would introduce us--luck has been on my side.


Deb and I went to Kenwood High School in Essex, MD, but we didn’t start the same year. KHS had three grades at the time, but because of where I lived, my tenth grade was in a junior high school. In grade eleven I met one of the most popular kids in the school. Thanks to her brother Fred, everyone I knew called Janice “Pickle.”


Pickle was an extrovert, check that, she was THE extrovert. Funny, charming, loud, really loud, and really popular, Pickle was a friend to all, especially me. I often walked to her house after school before hitchhiking home later. Most days I started my visit talking to her father. Mr. Harkins could have been the prototype for the Archie Bunker character in All in the Family. In fact, he called me Meathead. Mr. Harkins appeared curmudgeonly, but it didn’t take me long to realize his grumpy demeanor was not who he was. 


By grade twelve I went to see Mr. Harkins often. On one of those days when I entered his house, I was greeted by Pickle and three of her girlfriends. Later when I asked Pickle for their phone numbers, she told me that one of them, Dianne, was in a long term relationship. (She and Warren eventually married.) She gave me the numbers for Pam and Debbie.


This is the part of the story that doesn’t shine the best light on some of the players, but it is what happened. Either I copied the numbers incorrectly or some other sheer stroke of good fortune smiled at me that day, but later that day Deb answered her phone and had to explain that Pam was not there (see, um, I uh…never mind). After more than a few uncomfortable minutes scrambling to amend my embarrassing blunder, Deb agreed to go out with me. (btw I never did call Pam.)


Fifteen months after that we were married. Seven months after that we were joined by an angel we named Julia. Five years after that our family became complete when Jesse joined the team. Here we are 53 years down the road, and…


You talk about your woman

I wish you could see mine




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDoPlhG7cuw




Comments

  1. Great story! I have to ask. Are you reminded periodically about the phone number mishap?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Father’s Shoes

I Want My Dog to Live Longer

Oh My God